Monday, October 13, 2014

The Linebacker

The Linebacker (LB) is the defensive version of a Quarterback, in the sense that they are the defensive leader or the on field defensive coach. Though there are two to four possible linebackers on the field at a time, one is responsible for calling out the plays and making sure everyone knows their responsibilities. Like quarterbacks, linebackers also make adjustments or audibles at the line of scrimmage, often countering the audibles the quarterback makes.  But unlike a quarterback, they must set the tone, physically! There physical presence is very important and they must be willing to put their body on the line to stop the offense. They have so many jobs to do on the field but one of the most important is simply getting to the ball.

Because the Linebacker has so many jobs that are difficult to explain, I've decided to show you a video of my favorite Linebacker of all time, Ray Lewis. These are some of his career highlights and I couldn't think of a better way to further explain how the Linebacker position is played. ( 3:20-3:28 shows really good linebacker technique)

3 comments:

  1. This is actually a very interesting blog for anyone who does not understand football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize how many responsibilities the linebacker has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog! You make the different aspects of the sport very easy to understand, and, I must say, I have learned a lot from reading your posts. I look forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete